How does the skin itching of the body occur: the causes and treatment, as well as the prevention of an unpleasant symptom – all this will be discussed in detail in our article?
Skin itching can occur in absolutely any person, delivering him a lot of unpleasant sensations. Sometimes it reaches such a degree that it becomes simply unbearable.
Therefore, it is important to solve the problem quickly and effectively. And for this, it is necessary to understand the cause of the disturbing symptom and to eliminate the source of its occurrence by available methods.
Skin irritations, which are usually accompanied by itching, and in some cases, redness, can indicate the presence of dermatological diseases. Internal organs that have been affected by the disease in a similar way signal the problem that has arisen.
Description of the mechanism and species differences of skin itching
Let’s see how the skin itching appears?
In the skin of a person, there is a mass of nerve endings, which can be irritated for a number of reasons, triggering the mechanism of the skin itching sensation? The irritating factor is sometimes served by different substances that are carried with the blood through the body or are present in it in large clusters.
You can mention histamine, substances produced by the liver. Bile acid, delayed in the body in a large concentration, or slag with toxic substances. Read more https://www.healthline.com/health/itching
The kind of itching depends on the mechanism of its appearance and can be:
- Physiological, as a result of direct effects on the skin, for example, when crawling an insect;
- Proprioceptive, as a consequence of irritation of the receptors responsible for the sensitivity of the skin, for example, as a result of a mosquito bite;
- Neuropathic, due to irritation of nerve endings and fibers in the course of the disease;
- Neurogenic, in the presence of central genesis;
- Psychogenic, resulting from a mental disorder or a phobia;
- Mixed, having the characteristics of several of the above species.
How is the symptom manifested? An unbearable desire to scratch the troubling skin area. The degree of itching is divided:
- To localized, i.e. in a certain part of the body;
- On the widespread, i.e. when the entire body is scratched, including the face and scalp, extremities with interdigital patches, groin with anal opening, chest, and back.
Often skin itching is accompanied by other disturbing symptoms in the form of:
- Red spots and burning;
- Hyperemia and redness;
- Rash and swelling;
- Peeling and dryness.
In terms of the degree of expression of sensations, it is subdivided:
- On an easy form;
- To severe, causing pain and causing trauma to the skin by systematic combing.
There is a classification of the itch, called universal:
- Seasonal, characteristic of the summer months, as a sign of photodermatosis;
- Height, arising when a person ascends to the altitude and the fall of barometric pressure;
- Autotoxin, as a reaction to unpleasant foods and medications.
Factors of occurrence
The causes of the appearance of itching sensations are many. They are so different that their identification requires sometimes time, patience and effort. Judge for yourself.
- It can be a reaction to the allergen that is present in food, medicines, detergents and cleaning agents. Allergen pollen of plants, cosmetics, materials for making clothes and many more.
- The consequence of an insect bite, such as a mosquito or midge, a louse or a bug, a mite. The acute reaction of the body is often accompanied by a swelling with reddening of the bite site.
- The result of the parasitic invasion, when the body is poisoned by toxic products of the vital activity of parasites. Alien substances are found in the blood, provoking the response of the body.
- As a consequence of diseases affecting the liver, kidneys. Due to stagnation of acid and urea, there are corresponding symptoms.
- With venereal diseases, there is an itching of the external genitalia.
- As a result of metabolic disorders, with diabetes, hypertension, i.e. endocrinology.
- A frequent cause of pruritus is dermatological problems, which include skin diseases in the form of psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema.
- With viral, bacterial, or fungal infections of the skin – herpes, shingles, mycoses, candidacies.
- In the case of neglect of the rules of personal hygiene. Contaminated skin is prone to severe itching.
- During periods of hormonal failures and rebuilding of the body, due to pregnancy, menopause, and menopause.
- Another common cause is beriberi. As a result of vitamin hunger and a lack of mineral substances, the skin condition worsens with all the ensuing consequences – itching, scaling, and dryness.
- The presence of phobias such as fear of insects, and disorders of the nervous system.
- With multiple sclerosis and the presence of tumor processes caused by diseases of the central nervous system and the brain.
- As a consequence of imbalance in the processes of hematopoietic, violations of blood circulation and lymph drainage, which is typical for myeloma, lymphogranulomatosis, polycythemia.
Usually, itchy sensations appear along with other symptoms that indicate the causes of their origin, which makes it easier to diagnose and start treatment faster:
- Atopic, allergic and contact dermatitis are accompanied by reddening of the skin in places of limb bending, in the neck area and fold on the body;
- For infectious and inflammatory lesions is characterized by the presence of pustular lesions and eruptions on the skin of the face and body;
- Psoriasis differs from another dermatitis with its typical pink scaly plaques;
- when scabies itching is worse in the evening hours and at night, and on the body you can find a small rash in the form of so-called itch moves, located in pairs between the fingers, in the underarms and abdomen;
- To infect worms, there is a nighttime itch localized in the perineum and anus;
- Its specific features and diseases of internal organs in the form of bloating, intestinal cramps, diarrhea with constipation, pain in the region of the right hypochondria.
Ways to solve the problem
To treat the itching, after identifying the causes of its occurrence, various medications are used. In connection with the variety of grounds for the occurrence of itching sensations, therapy includes the use of funds:
- Vitamin complexes.
It is worth noting that self-medication is unacceptable. Drugs are prescribed by a doctor who has established a diagnosis.
Among the remedies that eliminate the symptom and facilitate the patient’s condition, topical preparations are widely used. They are available in the form of gels or creams, have antihistaminic properties.
Dermatological diseases are effectively treated with drugs, the main component of which is zinc. In the case of severe disease, corticosteroids are used.
It is recommended to carry out regular hygiene procedures in the form of a cool shower, eliminating aggressive detergents from the application, and to ventilate the rooms, moisturizing the air daily and drying, depending on its condition.
The next moment in the complex approach to the solution of the problem is the adjustment of the menu, which excludes from the diet allergenic products. In the eating habits of a person suffering from skin itching, spices, and fatty dishes, smoking with marinades, and spicy sauces should not be included.
I’ll have to say no to citrus and chocolate, eggs and some types of cheeses, strong broths of meat and alcohol. With anal itching, it is necessary to delete sweets from the diet, or substantially restrict them.
- Oatmeal with buckwheat and rice;
- Low-fat meat;
- Flour products.
It is not uncommon for disorders that lead to the appearance of purities. In such cases, sedatives and preparations with calming effect in the form of elixirs and tinctures, balms and extracts of medicinal plants are prescribed.
Physiotherapy is also effective, along with radon and sulfur baths, mud wraps.
A good result is the use of sunbaths in the morning and evening hours when the sun is not aggressive to the skin, which is confirmed by observations of specialists.
Well, as without folk remedies! Can help to cope with the disaster:
- Wipes, lotions and compresses from decoctions of medicinal plants, including the turn, oak bark, sage, and chamomile;
- Baths with said medicinal plants;
- Treatment of itching skin with a solution of soda, where a teaspoon of powder is dissolved in a glass with cool water;
- Use of essential oils (mint and eucalyptus, tea tree), dissolved in water and natural oil from peach, almond or olive;
- Treatment of the skin with the juice of the aloe plant.
Itching can be defeated, it is only necessary to find the cause of its appearance and begin effective timely treatment, according to the doctor’s recommendations.
You may also like How to Do a Deep Facial Cleansing